Jesus had made a startling declaration in the Nazareth synagogue! After reading a passage of scripture from the prophet Isaiah regarding the function and identity of the Christ (Anointed One), he closed the scroll, sat down. “Today, this scripture is fulfilled in your ears.
All eyes were fastened on him. They all tried to reconcile what they just heard with the fact they knew this was “Joseph’s son”. Due to knowing him in the flesh, they were unable to see his true identity revealed by the Spirit. It would simply be the sign of things to come. Jesus had come to his own but his own would not receive him. However, to those that would receive him, he would give the rights, authority and power to be regenerated as God’s children because he personified the Spirit of Sonship.
His message from this point forward was extremely simple. “Repent.” Which means, “change the way you think.” The reasoning behind altering one’s perspective was because, “The Kingdom is here.” In other words, there was some wrong thinking going on among God’s people about how to actually enter into and live in the rule of God. What had been laid out in types and shadows in the Old Testament was now going to be lived out in front of them and then transitioned to another level………..all in and through the Operating Platform of Sonship.
God had, indeed, in times past, in many separate revelations and in different ways spoken to the forefathers in and by the prophets. But, now, in these days, He was going to speak in/through the person of His Son. Jesus was the sole expression of God’s glory. He was the perfect imprint and very image of God’s nature. He would walk among mortal men, as a man! But, he was Man as God created Man to be. He was Man with God dwelling in Him. He was Immanuel…………God with us!
Jesus did not eagerly retain his equality with God but he had stripped himself of all the privileges and assumed the guise of a servant in that he was born a human being. He did not take on him the nature of angels but, rather, he took on the nature of Abraham’s seed. To accomplish Father’s purposes, the old Adamic nature had to be dealt with and set aside. As a result, mankind could then enter into all the things that the Heavenly Father had prepared.
So, the Son had been affirmed, prepared, victorious over fleshly temptation and had declared his intentions. He was here now, to reveal what Man was originally intended to be……………an accurate representation of the Father.
That is why we see the him declare the following:
- He declares the “Father” 13 x’s in Matthew, chapters 5-7 (In what most people call the Sermon on the Mount) in relation to various things such as:
glorifying Father by good works / treating enemies like Father would / emulating the Father / financial giving in relation to Father /
praying to Father and how He rewards prayer / the Father’s care for His children / forgiving others so that Father can forgive /
how to fast so that Father will reward it / Father’s material provision for His children / Father’s gift of the Holy Spirit to his children /
the importance of doing the Father’s will.
- All things had been entrusted to him by the Father. No man accurately understood the Father except him and to whomever the Son would deliberately make Him known. (Matthew 11:27)
- Whomever does the will of the Father is Jesus’ brother, sister and mother. (Matthew 13:43)
- Father will answer prayers of those in agreement. (Matthew 18:35)
- Father is Spirit and must be worshiped in spirit and truth. (John 4:23)
- The Son can do nothing of himself. What he sees the Father do, this is what the Son does. (John 5:19)
- The Son does not seek his own will but the will of the Father who sent him. (John 5:30,36)
- No man can come to the Son, except the Father draw him. (John 6:44)
- The Father sent the Son and the Son lives by the Father. (John 6:57)
- The Son speaks that which he has seen of the Father. (John 8:38)
- The Father knows the Son and the Son knows the Father; therefore the Son lays his life down for the sheep. (John 10:17)
- The Son and the Father are one. (John 10:30)
- The Son is the way, the truth and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by him. (John 14:6)
These are just a few. There are many more references to the Father/Son connection in reference to the Operating Platform of Sonship! But, we begin to see the importance of what is contained in the message of the Son. Remember, God now speaks to us in Son! (Hebrews 1:1)
Jesus was here to fulfill the old. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh; that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (this is the Spirit of Sonship………..as we will soon see!)
The Operating Platform of Sonship should be the basis of operation for a New Covenant believer. All the capability that Father has for us to function is grounded in Sonship.
It requires a lifestyle of repentance to install this new operating system. We have to clear our hard drive (mentality) of wrong teaching. Inaccurate paradigms of God must be brought down. Old operating procedures have to be forsaken. We must be transformed by the renewing of our minds.